Sunday 8 November 2009

How some Roll...

A skate park, I have discovered, is a very interesting place to take photos and somewhere which also links to my theme of Identity. People go there and leave their marks for others, almost instigating their territory. A skate park with no graffiti just wouldn't seem right, it creates a sort of subtextual power.

A photographer who isn't very well known is Christopher Kern. A friend of mine came across his work and showed it to me. His portraits of skateboarders really appealled to me because the style and subject is what I've been trying to aim for. Eyes are engaging with the camera intensely, hints about their identities from the art on boards along with the simplicity of the images I think make some great photos.
Dan, a guy who was blading whilst we were photographing seemed so at ease and happy for us to snap away. I like the simplicity of the top half of the right hand photo contrasting with the bottom half and also the way his 'pose' and the graffiti lines break up the solid lines of the railings.
Here the slopes of the ramps lead your eye up and over then up again to meet with the figure skating, this capture of movement I think sits well with how still the three boys on the left look and the symmetry of the two photos together and positioning of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment